Friday, August 22, 2008

idk: my life is boring

So this past week has been fairly uneventful.





My sometime-in-the near-to-far-off-future ex-husband came over wanting me to sign some papers.





What papers do you ask?





Well, he is not an American citizen and he's got his green card, but there are a bunch of additional steps to take to become a resident alien, or whatever it is they call people who come over here nowadays.





The immigration office has changed names 3 times since we've been married and had price increases twice. Have you ever seen that movie Green Card? Andie McDowell and Gerard Depardieu? Well, the initial interview we had happened just like that movie.











I like being alone. But of course, it's always better to be coupled. Can you imagine? Being with someone who you don't feel like you have to put on a show for?





-You can pick your toes, nose, or any other part of yourself in front of them?


-You can eat 4 hashbrowns from McDonalds and they don't even blink an eye?


-You can have crusty heels for a week before doing something about it?


-You can wear the same pair of jeans for a week straight?


-You can not comb/brush your hair for two or three days and it's OK?


-You can decide to spend your slush money on a pair of shoes/oven mitts/car accessory that you really want and not feel guilty about it?





I'm not saying all/none/some of these things have happened to me, but I want to be with someone that I can be myself around. I don't mind keeping my grooming, eating, sleeping, playing, working habits a secret from my significant other at first.





I think it's kind of cute and endearing. But let's be real: I think it's important to see your spouse hurt, crying, sick, or damn near dying in order for that shit to be real.





I feel really fucked up about my separation. I don't regret it. Not one bit. But I feel fucked up about it because I just want it to be over.





In North Carolina, you have to wait one (1) whole year before you can file for divorce. It's only been 7 months, but I wish the year were over. I can feel free once again. I always did whatever I wanted to do while I was married, but I don't want to be accountable to anyone except myself.





And my dog.


Everybody, meet Hermione. Hermione, meet everybody.


I'm off to Wilmington, NC tomorrow to cover an event there. It's 4 hours away and I'm going by myself. I was hoping to drive up to Greenville to see some old friends, but everyone seem to be busy or has last minute plans. My best friend lives halfway there, but he's an MD and most likely spending the night at his hospital against his free will.



But I'm a big girl. I can manage by myself. Maybe I'll have some kind of adventure I can tell my (future) kids about. Or spend a lot of time conducting a series of introspection sessions with myself.

2 comments:

WendyB said...

LOL @ "any other part of yourself." And what an adorable pooch!

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

Well, sometimes you just wanna be gross. And I just admitted that out loud.
My puppy, she's a lhapsa/shiz tzu mix.