Tuesday, August 12, 2008

This Much I Know Is True

Everyone is blogging about something these days. It might be personal for family and friends, professional for a job, or just for fun as a hobby. I never really kept a diary as a child.



I had a Ramona Quimby diary in 2nd grade that distracted me with fold out pages of stickers and inserts with puzzles. I don't think I wrote anything in it except my name. I have never been disciplined enough to have a journal to record my thoughts, feelings, or chronicle my daily life as I see fit.



Blogging. Now blogging is a different story. I got into blogging in 2001 as a college student. A close friend of mine had a LiveJournal and in order to be a member of the "club" you had to be invited. If you were a free (read: cheap) member you got one code and one code only to give to someone. If you were a paid subscriber, you got 12 codes, or one code a month to give away.



Luckily, I knew someone who was a paying member and I got signed up right away. It was great! I woke up: I blogged. Before class: blog. After class: blog. Major event in my life: blog. I'm going to the computer lab: blog. I was going...crazy with all the blogging!LJ no longer requires codes or invitations and the layout is different and I believe it to be less user-friendly than before, but I also have been introduced to MySpace and Facebook, too. I didn't want to join those other sites but I did so I wouldn't be left out of conversations at work like, "Girl, did you see those pics she posted on MySpace?" or "Thanks for commenting on that" and the ever-popular, "Did you read his profile? Oh. My. Gawd!"



In 2005, Glamour published an article Women Who Blog and there was a profile of a woman just like me: Black, college-educated, English degree, decided to work at Starbucks instead of pursuing a career....but she found herself staging events just so she could blog about them later. Her personal life started to suffer, she realized she was a "pathetic loser" (her words, not mine). She found herself jobless, single, and without hope. She eventually took down her blog to resist temptation to live an unfulfilled, farce of a life.
I have never done something I wouldn't normally have done or eng



aged in risky behaviors just so I can tell the world about it. I did lose a friendship because of a post on my blog. You can go to the entry here.

Basically, my friend made some rude/nasty comments about another friend and I made mention of them in a post. Overall, this girl was embarrassed that her true feelings had been published. We had been great friends since the first move-in day of college and here it was our last semester of our senior year, and she was dropping me as a friend. It hurt me for a long time but my family and other friends told me that I didn't need friends like her.

This blog is for...I don't know what this blog is for. I would make it a travel blog, but I don't travel as much as I used to. I might make it a weight loss blog, but my trials and tribulations with that are hard enough, it won't make me feel any better knowing people are reading about that.



This will probably be about my life. And I'm OK with that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nikki,

The Alder wood thing intriques me. Been studying this stuff for a while, alder is a mild sweet smoke. I'm just sayin, dont even think it was the wood unless somebody slipped a hunk of creasote tree in there.

If your interested we can make short order of the snafu and head you in the direction of having folks beg to get you to smoke them anything.......

The Snak is cool kid,
Robert

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

I know alder is supposed to be sweet and smokey. I toyed with the idea of there being too much smoke, but I'm not sure about that one. I really thought I was going to die when I ate the pepper. And the pork.

Anonymous said...

Nikki,

Good second post, if blogging the starter marrige isnt discussing your life , nothing is...... Im on my second try myself.

Well, Im sure about the Alder being good. Being as one with smoke is not a simple as it appears. But, it also can be very predictable and rewarding.

Tell briefly about your successes and your equipment and I will talk you through what you need to yet learn about smoke and food.

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

If you don't mind me asking, did I visit a blog of yours? How did you come to find mine? I want to make sure I return the favor and visit your site, too.

Anonymous said...

Nikki,

You can blame me on Cookiecrumbs site. The comment "I almost killed myself" (in referance to bad alderwood smoked food) left me wondering, did it taste poison, or did it depress you to the point of....? well, nevermind.That would be some 'Killer BBQ' there.