Thursday, August 28, 2008

Oh. My. Goodness.

So much to think about, so much to comment on. This is huge, so incredibly monumental right now.

I have been shaken and moved with a force so strong in regards to the DNC this week. Obama accepting the Dem nomination on the anniversary of King's "I Have A Dream Speech" is not only uncanny and unbelievably significant, but God's way of telling us something. What? I don't know, but it's making me teary eyed just thinking about what it might be. In a good way, of course.


The only thing I'm upset about: everything Our Man does from here on out will be a first. If he chews gum, pisses in the toilet, goes to a Coldplay concert, eats at McDonald's...it will be a first. Everything Michelle (Or as she is so affectionately monikered: Mikki-O) does, will be a first.

I am ashamed to admit I did not watch any of the DNC this week. I want to upload Michelle, Hillary, and everybody else's speeches to watch before going to bed.
While I was at work, I did catch a bit of my man, Al Gore.

Former Vice President Al Gore was telling Democratic Party convention
delegates that John McCain's election as president would be little more than a
continuation of Bush-Cheney policies. Gore told the crowd in prepared remarks:
"Hey, I believe in recycling, but that's ridiculous."

THAT is why I have a crush on this man. ::sigh::


It's OK that I didn't watch them live because we've got TiVo, You Tube, and now text messaging to bring the news to us. We've got Stumbling, Facebooking, Twittering, and instant messaging at our fingertips. I don't have to be anywhere on earth without knowing what's going on. I just realized this today on my way to work.
And as silly as it sounds, as I was listening to speeches on NPR on my way home from work, I couldn't help but think: Rory Gilmore still has her job working for the Obama campaign...


I work at a newspaper and the industry has been flailing for years. Readership, circulation and interest has gone down because of the above mentioned 21st century inventions. I'm a 20-something journalist, so it's important that I help this industry thrive and live on, even though newsprint is going to eventually be obsolete (hopefully in 50 years, when I've gone on to do other things).

This is why I have a blog, this is why I'm attempting to be active in my community. This is why I need a better job because what I make now barely covers...well, it doesn't cover anything LOL.

And Mister Motherfucker, also known as Hurricane Gustav is showing his ass in the Gulf of Mexico. You, fucker.

On the anniversary of Katrina, no doubt. My mother's people are from Nawlins. We're Creole through and through. It was a long, hard, hot, sweaty, horrible summer...three years ago. I was gearing up to go to culinary school, I remember. I couldn't believe the death, destruction, and helplessness of our nation. Immobilized. I didn't take a shower for about four days in solidarity with my family members and others in the swamp. I would have gone longer, but I worked at a public place and didn't want to get sent home.

And now Gustav is about to come through and piss in our faces.

No comments: